[iDC] seed patents, Indian farmer suicides, and the future of Iraq

regis lemberthe lemberthe at inbox.com
Sun Sep 23 22:06:41 UTC 2007

Dear Nancy, Andreas and Ryan (and all the others)

I hope I understood the entirety of your messages pretty well since english isn't my native language; anyhow, I want to enter this debate in which I'll have to get involved during a full year. I am indeed doing a thesis in design related to the topic of preserving seeds and the people who grow them.

The first thing which surprises me when reading Nancy's article is that Monsanto seems to have been able to implement their patented seeds in India; yet I have been reading a book written in 2004 by Vandana Shiva, in which she explained that the Indian politics were excluding any intellectual property rights over appplications related to both medicine and agriculture. Does it mean that these politics have been changed since then ? If so, could you tell me more about the new reglementation ? If not, how could Monsanto allow themselves to overgo Indian laws ?

European Union has also been mention a few times, therefore I'd like to precise the actual situation of european agriculture, and politics related to this issue, as this is getting quite worrying for agricultural systems which don't rely on agro-industry. The union has been overproducing since the seventies, principaly aiming the export market; yet european agricultural products aren't able to compete with cheaper ones coming from developing countries. This led our governments to adopt a support system based on "restitutions", allowing the common fund to directly pay the producer so that he can earn money from his activity while still exporting on a low rate. This is no more the sale of the products which gives the farmer his salary, but the union. The situation could still be almost acceptable if the aids were not distributed in priority to the biggest industries.

The fact is, these politics oriented towards exportation endanger small european farmers, but also those in developing countries who have to compete with prices which don't fit the actual production cost, when their own countries don't have the financial means to support them in the same way. This is why some countries known as the "Cairn's group", together with the US, are trying to lobby in order to dismantle this politic.

There is another issue I would like to discuss about; several times in your messages you aggreed to state that the issue could only have a political answer - though Andreas also told about micro-initiatives, which according to me work as an answer to existing troubles but in no case as a way to prevent them.

Anyway, Like you I believe this is relevant to the political level; yet I am convinced that adequate political decisions only come when the population as a whole asks for them - the reason why lobbies don't put the pressure only on governments anymore but try to involve the public as much as possible.

While working on my thesis, and even though this is only a young project, I could set my aim as a designer as such : raising awareness about this issue for the greater amount of population possible, so that the topic becomes of public interest - just like global warming or organic cotton (organic cotton ? Maybe there's a track to follow...)

I don't know what is the state of mind of Vidarbha people concerning patented seeds and the savekeeping of their agriculture; is this become a real topic for debate ? How much do they talk about it ? What is getting organized ? I am quite convinced that already many of them are trying to invent solutions to the problem. I think the real question - which shouldn't make us forgetting the ones before - is : what counterpower will they - or we if we decide to get involved - be able to provide ?

I think this power can only grow bigger if people on both sides of the consuming pattern feel concerned. That implies the final consumer.

Well I'm just happy I could read your opinions on the topic, I still have a bunch of monthes to try approaching the issue, hopefully from both sides. I'd be very happy if those of you who are interested in the issue would stay in touch with me all along the year; any reaction is of great value to me.

On a more practical level, and I guess this is mostly destinated to Nancy, I'd like to ask you to share the contacts you could have during working on this issue, Vandana Shiva's one of course and everyone who could relate to the topic.

Thank you for reading !

Regis

lemberthe regis
lemberthe at inbox.com