[iDC] seed patents, Indian farmer suicides, and the future of Iraq

Nancy Scola nancyscola at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 19:32:44 UTC 2007

I'm sitting here a bit amazed about how much this discussion has helped me
to understand a piece I myself wrote.  A few thoughts...

I'd push back some on the idea that if we're stipulating the goal to be
reducing the pain that 'modern' economic and agricultural practices are
inflicting upon not only farmers but a wide swath of the world's population,
that what we're in great need of here are solutions, necessarily. I'm biased
by the fact that my professional background is in politics, but from where I
stand these problems are in large part political and social ones. It seems
to me that we're far richer in technocratic solutions than we are in the
understandings that would impel those solutions to take hold. I'd hold up
the farm bill that recently passed in the United States that perpetuated the
same subsidy system that queers global agricultural markets. (Which leads of
course to what Regis wrote about -- having to compete against prices that
don't match production costs.) Congress was able to pass that bill because
against the great mass that is the agricultural lobby there exists a void of
public understanding of the effects of the policy.

Simply put, we're running up against an assumption that an innovation like
GM crops is necessarily designed to benefit farmers/national agricultural
systems. In my opinion, there still exists the wide-spread belief that
globalization is aimed at bettering the status of the many, and that when
the opposite occurs it's a system malfunction -- rather than that being the
end result the system is engineered to achieve. (I'm not making a judgment
here on malice -- that's a conversation for a whole other time, I think.)
It's a similar understanding that I think you find in debate over the
control of creative content (patents, copyright, etc.) And again, I'd argue
that changing the starting points for these discussion, in the U.S. at
least, is a political question.

I'll admit that I don't know enough about farming to know if looking for
alternate ways of funding capital-intensive agriculture (like micro-credit
or P2P lending) is the way to proceed, or if doing that while U.S./E.U.
subsidies persist is like working busily to remodel your kitchen while your
house burns. But those approaches are so fascinating to me not as solutions,
but as ways of raising awareness about the largely invisible economic system
we live in. Same goes for the ideas raised in these emails concerning
"public domain" seeds, GM-is-to-India as high-tech--is-to-Africa, and
capital-intensive farming that isn't GM-driven. You've all just given me
ideas for at least a few more articles, so thanks so much for that. :)

(Regis, as far as Monsanto's presence in India is concerned, what I've found
is that the company was able to overcome the government's resistance to
their presence in 2005; more on that here --
http://www.hindu.com/2005/05/21/stories/2005052103121300.htm, for example. I
certainly don't know enough about Indian politics to make sense of why that
happened.)

-Nancy