[iDC] seed patents, Indian farmer suicides, and the future of Iraq

Keith Hart keith at thememorybank.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 08:18:51 UTC 2007

Nancy and others,
> (Regis, as far as Monsanto's presence in India is concerned, what I've
> found is that the company was able to overcome the government's
> resistance to their presence in 2005; more on that here --
> http://www.hindu.com/2005/05/21/stories/2005052103121300.htm, for
> example. I certainly don't know enough about Indian politics to make
> sense of why that happened.)
If you Google 'patents India' you will get the following announcement of
The Patents (Amendment) Act which was passed in April 2005.

http://www.patentoffice.nic.in/ipr/patent/patent_2005.pdf

This came after pressure from the WTO (and the US) to conform to the
1994 intellectual property treaty (TRIPs). The consequences for India's
role as the sole large-scale producer of cheap generic medicines for the
world's poor and the benefits accruing to Big Pharma were widely
discussed at the time. But  Indian competition with American digital
exports of movies, music and  software was also affected, as presumably
was Monsanto's campaign to introduce GMOs to India.

In order to understand why India's political elite would so readily
abandon the moral and practical high ground in this respect, you need to
visit the US-India nuclear deal concluded the following July in
Washington DC.

http://www.cfr.org/publication/9663/usindia_nuclear_deal.html

The Indian government's desire to be America's principal ally in the
region (at the expense of Pakistan and China) also lay behind their
signing a disgraceful bilateral treaty exempting US citizens from future
prosecution for war crimes. This treaty has been signed by some fifty
other countries, but by no large non-western country other than India.
(In Europe only Britain has signed -- go figure).

The United States currently has three ways of bending foreign
governments to its imperial designs: denying them entry to the US
market;  the IP treaty; and military force. Its major corporations
represent the arm of economic expansion in particular instances.

Knowledge of this background (which is available in an hour or so of
browsing the internet) might be useful for your research. It would
certainly seem to be necessary for Regis'.

Keith