[iDC] (no subject) - ethics

Sal Randolph salrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 22:54:14 UTC 2008

Hi Robert,

That's a really intriguing quote from Ethics of Luxury, but I'm not
quite sure how to interpret it - can you offer a little more context
for those of us who don't have a copy of the book on hand just yet?

> Randolph postulates community as a common illusion
> produced by the exercise of imagination in ways that involve trust
> and a
> shared ethics:

I'd be particularly interested to know with what sort of tone or
valence she (and you) are using the word "illusion" here, and in what
way this illusion is thought to influence actions and realities.

Personally I love Winnicott, especially for his notions of
transitional objects and transitional space - what I take from his
ideas is specifically that the "transitional" occupies a middle zone
between imagination and reality, a way for the two modes to meet and
transform one another.

(For anyone here who isn't yet a Winnicott fan, the classic
"transitional object" is something like a child's blankie - a real
thing infused with the imaginary presence of another, for instance
the child's mother.  The blankie works for the child -- it feels
comforting, it can be thrown away and retrieved, played with, and
ignored -- precisely because both its real and imaginary properties
operate together).

This implies that transitional spaces (for instance, art or play) are
pathways by which imagination (illusion?) can have an influence on,
can matter, in the real world (and vice versa).  Or to put it
differently, it's one way of thinking about how imagination can be
political.

- Sal

Sal Randolph
salrandolph [at[ gmail [dot] com