[iDC] (no subject) - ethics

R Labossiere admin at klooj.net
Sat Jan 19 04:30:39 UTC 2008

I've just had the great pleasure of working on a book that tackles the
difficult question of ethics and creative production and would like to quote
a part of it (below) that I believe is particularly relevant to this thread.
The book, as I proofed it so many times, struck me as so pertinent not just
to the visual arts but particularly to our new media milieu. Jeanne
Randolph, the author, is an artist and psychiatrist. Informed by object
relations theory, Winnicott in particular, she conceptualizes the positions
of creators and artists in terms of ethics, while tackling the ornery
reality that our positions are fundamentally 'tainted,' by the reality of
superabundance -  luxury. Randolph postulates community as a common illusion
produced by the exercise of imagination in ways that involve trust and a
shared ethics:

Randolph:

"I continue the make-believe of a group of basically imaginative people, a
group formed on the basis of shared illusion of the experience of ethical
imagining (or, if this is really a new idea, a group formed on the basis of
the hypothesis that there is such a practice of ethical imagining).

It would be our joy, whenever given the impetus primum non nocere [from the
hypocratic oath: before all else, do no harm], it would not be contradictory
to suppose that in our enclave of luxury:

We would converse gladly;

We would delight in curiosity;

Certainly we would abhor objectification of any person anywhere;  this would
include abhorrence of reacting to another person as a mere function of our
own agenda;

Each of us would maintain equanimity about holding individual or group
power;

We would never enforce judgments on the possible, to remove obstacles to
playfulness;

If we witnessed someone(s) who rarely had the opportunity to participate in
situations like ours, our saddened response would include reconsideration of
the relevance of their situation to our enclave of luxury;

After many conversations we might even come to believe that the illusory
experience we had conjured -- ethical imagining -- keeps us together even
while we are dispersed ... working in separate enclaves of luxury."

- excerpted from Ethics of Luxury: materialism and imagination by Jeanne
Randolph  https://nt2.nshosts.com/yyzartistsoutletorg/books.asp?language=en

Robert Labossiere
http://www.readingart.ca
http://www.robertlabossiere.com