[iDC] The 50-Year Computer

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Tue Sep 30 07:15:09 UTC 2008

Hi Pat

I would never suggest you are a luddite. I am arguing that technology is a
social thing, that societies change and technology has to be (will inately
be) responsive to that. Technologies that do not evolve become redundant.
Your 50 year computer proposal looks attractive but how would you ensure it
remains adaptable to unknown developments? I appreciate the argument that
any system that is software based (as your system is) is more easily adapted
to circumstances. However, software can only adapt in so far as the hardware
platform it is based on enables it. Hardware independent computing is a nice
idea ­ but I doubt it is realistic (ironically) at this juncture in the
development of computing hardware.

Are you drunk? ;)

Regards

Simon