[iDC] Technologies of Friendship (and Freedom)

Fred Stutzman fred at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Sep 29 17:58:20 UTC 2008

Hello fellow IDC subscribers -

Trebor has asked me to talk about two projects I've been working on.  The
first is a course I am teaching this fall at the University of North
Carolina's School of Information and Library Science.  The course is
"Technologies of Friendship."  This course draws on a number of disciplines
to explore the role of technologies in mediating personal relationships.
We're having a great time in the class, so if you'd like to check out the
syllabus or follow along, you can do so at
http://ibiblio.org/fred/inls_490.

My second project is actually a productivity tweak.  The back-story goes as
follows.  Due to lack of an office, I tend to frequent coffee shops for
writing.  I particularly like coffee shops that DON'T have wireless, as I
found my writing productivity increases due to lack of distraction.  To
replicate this, I created a Mac application named "Freedom", a little piece
of software that disables Internet access for a specific time interval.
Freedom's tweak is that it can't be disabled - unless you want to reboot
your computer - so it seems to actually work for the purpose intended.  To
find out more about Freedom, check out:
http://www.ibiblio.org/fred/freedom/

Enjoy,
Fred