[iDC] Strategic usage of folksonomies: a case study

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Fri Jan 9 14:54:18 UTC 2009

Hi Eugenio

This is a brilliant essay. Thanks for posting it. It is clearly written and
exposes with detailed data the semiotic evolution of a folksonomy in
process. Have you thought of how this might relate to other discourses, such
as Ortiz¹s concept of transculturation or Garcia¹s pluriliteracy? There are
also clear links to the notion of transliteracy as well. I think I remember
us discussing some of these issues when we were in India?

I have a recent paper that addresses some of this at
http://hosted.simonbiggs.easynet.co.uk/texts/trans.htm

As for accepted papers disappearing out of sight ­ I cannot say I have
experienced that. I have seen accepted papers take a couple of years to get
in print though. Some journals have long lead times. I don¹t know how the
editors manage to ensure timeliness of the research published. I guess this
is part of the reason academia moves so glacially. Here¹s to self-publishing
on the internet then!

Regards

Simon

Simon Biggs
Research Professor
edinburgh college of art
s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
www.eca.ac.uk
www.eca.ac.uk/circle/

simon at littlepig.org.uk
www.littlepig.org.uk
AIM/Skype: simonbiggsuk

Edinburgh College of Art (eca) is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC009201