[iDC] iDC Digest, Vol 55, Issue 31

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 17:01:37 UTC 2009

Hi John,

Look again to the exploited worker that you mention ... and amidst whom I live in this working class neighborhood in bangkok ...

He/she is often heavily in debt, this represents a double exploitation

Then look at his employer ... they too are heavily in debt, and their rate of profit is actually not that high ...

Then look at the people lending to both the worker and his employer ... their profit rates are higher ...

Through debt and compound interest, there is a direct flow of money from the poor to the rich, from the productive sectors to the 'unproductive' financial sectors ...

This is just as real a face of exploitation ...

I'm not at all afraid to say this to the worker in the extractives industry ... he/she is just as aware of the reality of this form of exploitation ... look at the farmer's suicides in India .. they kill themselves not because they are being exploited, they have always been, but because very specifically of their debt situation ...

I think this is where your yikes should be directed at, not at those correctly pointing out the financial exploitation,

Michel