[iDC] Introduction: The Internet as Playground and Factory

Greg Downey gdowney at wisc.edu
Tue Jun 9 14:02:24 UTC 2009

Hi there.  My name is Greg Downey.  I was also kindly invited into
this discussion (and upcoming conference) by Trebor, who asked me to
introduce myself to the list.

I'm currently a professor the University of Wisconsin-Madison in two
departments at once: Journalism & Mass Communication and Library &
Information Studies.  My training was rooted in two different areas,
however: History of Technology and Human Geography.  I study the
"history and geography of information/communication technology and
labor," which can be a mouthful.  Examples work better.  My first book
was _Telegraph messenger boys: Labor, technology, and geography,
1850-1950_ (Routledge, 2002) and my second was _Closed captioning:
Subtitling, stenography, and the digital convergence of text with
television_ (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2008).  Each of these
explored a different global information/communication infrastructure
(telegraph, television) through the lens of a particular labor process
and set of rather unusual laborers within that infrastructure (largely
male teens carrying messages through city streets, largely female
adults transforming spoken audio into textual screen images).  In
between I also co-edited, with Aad Blok of the International Institute
for Social History, a volume entitled _Uncovering labour in
information revolutions, 1750-2000_ (Cambridge University Press,
2004).  Right now I'm working on the research for my third book, which
will look at the "metadata labor" of library professionals in the
decades between World War II and the World Wide Web -- and hopefully
it will be some aspect of this work that I'll be bringing to the
conference for discussion.

Cheers,