[iDC] attention and the classroom

Eric Gordon eric_gordon at emerson.edu
Tue Jun 9 15:46:03 UTC 2009

I've been following the conversation about the Internet as playground
and factory with great interest and have been inspired to chime in.
Lately I've been thinking about that most mysterious currency of the
Internet: user attention.  Certainly, the economy of the Internet
trades in it.  As Frank pointed out awhile back: "We all “pay
attention” (literally and figuratively) at monolithic sites like
Google, Facebook, and eBay."  Their business model is premised on how
much we pay attention and how little we stray.  What's interesting to
me is how this model of monolithic attention gathering has
similarities to the models of attention we have established for the
classroom.  Students should pay total attention to the professor.
Distractions like open windows, buzzing from florescent light bulbs,
chatter in the hallway, or god forbid, laptops and cell phones,
threaten to chip away at the age old concept of undivided attention.
In fact, these distractions threaten to turn classroom attention into
an economy - where there is exchange and value for glances, foci, and
thoughts.  In the 1970s, Erving Goffman gave a lecture called "The
Lecture."  In it, he challenges the dominance of the subject of the
lecture and its corresponding forward facing gaze and suggests that,
in fact, students also pay attention to what he calls "the custard" of
the situation - that stuff, including the joke before the lecture
begins, the notes on the table, the noises in the room.  All of this
composes the situation and necessarily, the attention of students
flows in and out of the custard and subject at hand.

The Internet provides a new way into the context Goffman introduced
decades ago.  Open laptops with live twittering, web searching, SMS -
all of this is part of the custard of interaction and part of the
economy of attention that composes the situation of the classroom.
Instead of banning these technologies from the classroom, as many a
university is want to do, the answer is instead to harness them and to
actively participate in establishing the rules of the economy.  In an
article I recently completed with my colleague David Bogen, I refer to
this process as "designing choreographies of attention."  (The
complete article can be found here: http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/3/2/000049.html)
.    We argue that educators should not fall back on monolithic models
of undivided attention, and instead engage in this kind of design,
which can transform the space of the classroom - complicating the
relationships between front and back, professor and student, and peer
to peer.  In this case, the particular and thoughtful appropriation of
Internet tools challenges the traditional economies of attention -
both those established by the professorate centuries ago as well as
those perpetuated by Google and its ilk.  Despite its dominant
business models, the Internet can help us rethink traditions; it can
help us break down barriers and transform spaces.  I'm interested in
seeing this happen in the classroom.  I'm interested in using these
tools to harness distraction as a means of producing more vibrant (and
dare I say focused) educational spaces.

I'm quite interested to know how others respond to this proposition
and specifically how it might feed into the larger discussion about
labor.  Indeed, students' attention is labor, whether it's undivided
or not.