[iDC] iDC Digest, Vol 54, Issue 12

Paul Prueitt psp at ontologystream.com
Tue Jun 9 15:54:40 UTC 2009

< comment my bcc - respond to psp at secondschool.net  >
< comment the iDC Digest is an academic forum well moderated.>
***

Dear colleagues,

This next academic year, I will be teaching introduction to computer
science (two sections) at a small but very elite university in
Northern VT.   I have posted on this forum in the past and am a three
+ year (oh does time fly) reader.

So I expect that a public commons based on my work will be available
with teleconferencing between universities and other locations.  This
is an invitation.

I am in Austin Texas now and working on establishing a "secondSchool"
network in Texas.  We look to build an extension and separation from
Second Life, in the form of a public common (meaning everything is
designed with responsibility assignable to participants. Clearly
security is addressed with the technology- so a new capacity is to be
made available - as a no cost public sector provided "service".)

With respects, I wish to discuss the shift being visited by David,

and will develop a thesis:

The non-availability of knowledge management and ontological modeling
capability
is a major fact in the turn to entertainment.

Some History:
This history of virtual worlds is well known to Dr Kriste Bellman,
and others whose effort within defense communities created the
foundation for multiple user domains, such as Second Life, or Palace,
or etc...  Twitter is not equipped with true knowledge management
tools, as is proposed by myself (in 1999).  But it could be, and thus
follow the model of Grove (used at DARPA etc all during the first
part of the decade and last part of last decade.

On Jun 9, 2009, at 7:00 AM, idc-request at mailman.thing.net wrote:

> Naturally, the talk turned to social media as a possibility and an
> obstacle
> for such organization.
>
> His advice to me, based on anecdotal evidence, was to advise students
> against using social media for organizing until they had strong
> face-to-face
> relationships.  And then, only use it sparingly, as a tool.  His
> experience,
> based on work with 20-50 year old working folks was that attitudes
> quickly
> devolve into patterns consistent with the consumption of
> entertainment--you
> do it when you have time, when it is fun, and with the multitude of
> available channels of information it is too easy to avoid bare-knuckle
> conflicts (even when exchanges become hot).  In his view, the
> contexts which
> require organizing the most are those which are going to be risky--
> where you
> might lose your job, face retaliation, and, in some cases, get
> beaten.  And
> so, you need a tight social relationship in which people are
> willing to
> sacrifice for each other.  His efforts at organizing online were
> weak...
> they generated good talk among those who participated...  but they
> did not
> translate into a strong group, unless the group was rooted in face-
> to-face
> relationships.
>
> The view he articulated to me was basically the one that I had been
> moving
> more closely to over the years--watching students organize an
> organization
> with 200 members on facebook, and then showing up to an empty meeting.

A background for my thesis is being structured into a book "Bridge to
the Future".

The down load is www.mathPedagogy.com/bridge.doc.  This is a peer
review request, not a publication as yet.

There is always posted the dated last version (As of this morning -
136 pages - small type).

Collaboration within the community of scholars

I am looking for collaboration from social networking community and
academic communities in specific areas such as evolutionary
psychology, and theoretical biologic, or quantum theory.  Essential
information theory and social theory - along with the neurology and
biology

I will make detailed analytic response to this forum.  And will
request, after a few exchanges, that a separate group form within
some public commons platform.

Sub-thesis:  The students, and our society as a whole, may do as
humans and human social systems do; but in an entirely new way.

The formation of a specific paradigmatic foundation is possible
because we use language.

As a consequence of specific cultural histories,  the enhanced
capability to form various paradigmatic foundations is resulting in
new social behaviors never seen in past history.  These foundations
are in essence, our viewpoints.  Acquired learning disability and
avoidance behaviors rwt mathematics is thus re-framed (framing in the
sense of G. Lakoff) as the first two memetic shifts (see for example
http://www.laetusinpraesens.org/docs00s/chitable.php)

We see evolution and change occurring around us.   The primary
"improvement" (an evolution I see) is in developing the "common"
capacity to shift from one set of foundational elements to a
completely different set of foundational elements, and then back -
easily.

Why is this an improvement?

So the individual on face book is interacting with many other "social
systems", and increased effort along with reinforcement from peers
creates new capacity.  There is a self organization occurring, and
this self organization is responding to the enhanced and increased
capacity to shift viewpoint.

A C tuning fork does not make a D tuning fork ring, but with all of
the harmonies of nature - as played in musical expression - we have
orchestration.

What might be orchestrated by 18 year olds attending college for the
first time, this year? Well, I believe that knowledge management and
ontological modeling capacity use by these 18 year olds will result
in music, and in tremendous insight as to how to fix our broken
social and financial and education systems.

Paul Prueitt