[iDC] Introduction: The Internet as Playground and Factory

Jesse Drew jdrew at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jun 9 17:43:08 UTC 2009

Hi all.  I am new to this list and was asked to introduce myself.

My name is Jesse Drew and I am currently Director and Associate
Professor of Technocultural Studies at the University of California at
Davis.  My interest in this discussion stems from much of what led me
to academia in the first place.  For many years I was active in labor
activism, primarily as a shop-floor organizer in industrial plants and
warehouses.  I saw firsthand how computer technologies were debasing
the labor process through “minutes times motion” and “just-in-time”
strategies.  Later, as an assembly line worker in a Silicon Valley
electronics plant, I became interested in how advanced communications
were laying the groundwork for the global assembly line.  I wound up
getting a degree in electronics but then veered sharply into the media
arts, and the impact technology and culture have on the working
class.  I have a strong affinity as a “maker” and have participated in
producing films, videos and interactive media pieces over the years
that critique the culture industry.  I have also written for alt
culture publications and was a collective member of a ‘zine called
Processed World that critiqued the brave new world of work in the
information age.  I have contributed chapters to anthologies on
technology, labor and culture and am currently working on a book that
contextualizes contemporary trends in democratic communications.  A
chapter in the book is based on 120 interviews with activists in six
US industrial unions on how the internet is being used to globalize
the labor movement.  I look forward to this discussion and finding out
more about you all!

-Jesse

Jesse Drew, Ph.D.
Director, Technocultural Studies