[iDC] Introduction

Ren Bucholz ren at trubble.com
Sat Jun 13 00:28:59 UTC 2009

Hi All,

Very nice to hear from everyone.  My name is Ren Bucholz and I am
currently a law and graduate student in Toronto.  Before coming back
to school, I spent five years at the Electronic Frontier Foundation,
an NGO that works on technology and civil liberties.  I represented
the group at the United Nations and directed their international
policy team.  I was also a Google Policy Fellow in 2008, where I
thought and wrote about copyright, technology standards, and
competition law.

In broad strokes, I'm interested in how technological norms can
quietly replace policies that used to be, or at least "ought" to be,
set in public [yay, Alexander Galloway!].  I'm therefore interested
in distributed forms of technological control, digital rights
management, technology standards, the rhetoric of neoliberalism,
myths of progress/openness, and media policy.  If all goes well, I'll
be spending part of next year writing about how ameliorative tools
like competition law could be tweaked to catch these new forms of
distributed control.

I look forward to participating here.

Oddly enough,

Ren