[iDC] the concept of unity - cloud computing

Christina McPhee naxsmash at mac.com
Tue Jun 23 18:39:07 UTC 2009

wow, brilliant post, Paul.

Coincidentally: I am working on creating a body of media images of 'at the tipping point' of carbon saturation (550 PPM or above) in Earth's  atmosphere-- by setting abstractions of fold/skin forms (tesserae) as metanyms for tesserae within landscape assemblages
-- these specific sites being the alternative energy production sites in outback California where I live and work.

So your dramatic linking of regimes of knowledge production, ecological crisis and the crisis in Iran is so articulate at a moment that I (in my video/visual world) sorely need, as words often fail me.

I am concerned very much with this matter of considering how non-locality-- or perhaps in my view interlocality == is the only
framework of consciousness and principle of design that is going to make it possible for us to survive and thrive in the coming
environmental disaster.

The Iran situation is of particular importance - and pathos- precisely because of what you point out here--that the cloud of 'tweets' is
an evasive and sublated ephemeral mapping dynamic that evades the 'locality' (eg nightmare prisons, black ops) created by humans
for humans as an extraordinary flexible collective survival kit.  Even as the government of Iran apparently (or so folks are saying on facebook) is trying to track users based on tweet locations and hunt them down.

I think that a much deeper understanding of what is democracy and what is (who is ) the subject is upon us.  Possibly the metaphor of the cloud is particularly apt.  I like this because i am working with 'atmosphere'  and 'weather' on a number of levels of meaning.  Perforce, we must realize that certain aspects of our social science paradigms and regimes of knowledge themselves are part of an older way which often leads to what you are calling this 'locality' consciousness, which itself, then, seems to end in various kinds of hell.

Can we keep alive/ keep breathing through the cloud?

Christina

http://www.christinamcphee.net/tesserae/index.html

http://christinamcphee.net