[iDC] Iran & the "Twitter Revolution"

David Golumbia dgolumbia at virginia.edu
Thu Jun 25 14:23:16 UTC 2009

I was just asked to post this on the Harvard UP blog, and hope some will
find it relevant to the current conversations:

http://harvardpress.typepad.com/hup_publicity/2009/06/revolutions-and-the-politics-of-networks.html

      "Revolutions" and the Politics of Networks

/... with special reference to the role played by the internet during
the recent developments in Iran./

----------

Few words have been heard more often lately than revolution. The word
occurs in two ways, but the connection between them is at best fuzzy.
First, commentators wonder if Iran is going through a political
revolution. Second, they speculate about an "internet revolution"---not
merely a change in communications technologies, but something more
significant for democracy, for political organization.

Jeff Jarvis calls it "the API revolution"
<http://www.buzzmachine.com/2009/06/17/the-api-revolution/> (referring
to the ability, via software called an API, to for third-parties to
"use" other applications---for mobile phone providers, for example, to
route messages onto Twitter). Clay Shirky calls it "the big one"