[iDC] Just Say Adorno

Ayhan ayhana at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 18:20:20 UTC 2009

David,
Thank you for pointing out the connections between pre-modern concepts of
automata and the oriental other. From the medieval theological texts to
enlightenment drama the European imagination is replete with concepts that
conflate automata with the oriental. To some extent, this association is
related with the first introduction of the idea of automata from the
Byzantium and Islamic literary sources into Europe in late medieval period.
Since the technique of making automata was associated with the heresy of
Islam, sorcery and other illegitimate knowledge practices, its Oriental
image was crucial to create a screen (or a veil) on which techno-mythical
desires of autonomous machines could safely be projected.

Kempelen's chess playing automaton is one of the examples of this idea,
congealed in a material form that was made perform the idea of
controlling/manipulating the body and the mind of the other through their
own logic, the machine. Influenced by these historical examples, my take on
Amazon's Mechanical Turk as a global labor market can not ignore the
cultural mediation role of this market between the postindustrial west and
the Global Rest. It is also helpful to remind us that the immaterial labor
is not just immaterial, digital labor is not just digital, and software does
not exist (as Kittler argues) without hardware. And when I look at the
hardware of our times, the Personal Computer, I can not help but see the
little cabin that is made to fit a single chess player who is surrounded by
the tools to manipulate the game that he is not invited to watch as part of
the audience. Its a very strong metaphor to think about both the limitations
and the possibilities of the current logic of the network. This condition of
alienation through atomization in the cognitive labor scheme as "innovated"
by Amazon's MTurk clearly undermines the cooperative aspect of immaterial
labor as claimed by Tiziana Terranova, Hardt&Negri and many others.
When we consider from the perspective of the innovation as an internal force
of capitalism, as explained by Pasquinelli on his reading of Lazzarato
reading Tarde (Jonathan Beller's earlier post), this innovation of MTurk is
clearly concentrated on the design of the task flow, the procedural
knowledge embedded in the machine shop that facilitates the cognitive work
for optimum productivity. I think it is crucial to consider digital labor
from the perspective of the corporate control room in order to understand
some of the preferences that goes into the logic of its machine and
constitute its characteristics of mode of
production/interaction/consumption. MTurk divides cognitive tasks into
discrete pieces so that the completion of tasks are not dependent on the
cooperation of the workers themselves, but organized from the outside by the
interaction modules designed by the requesters compatible with MTurk's
operation platform. By the elimination of the cooperation aspect of the
cognitive work, the labor power becomes a "variable capital" in the Marxian
sense because the labor power needs the activation and organization of the
capital in order to create value.

I think Irani&Silberman's Turkopticon is a great response to this problem. I
had the privilege to be in the same panel with Lilly Irani during the
conference and I think their research is terrific. Another MTurk talkback
apparatus, TurkersTalk is hosted by Talkshoe, an online community call
service that provides tools for groups of people to interact by audio
recordings, chats and video conferencing also sounds very promising.

I will soon post a draft of my paper on the conference site and would love
to hear your feedback.

Ayhan Aytes

Ph.D. Candidate
University of California San Diego