[iDC] hello & more on G20: twerrorism

Dara Greenwald dara at daragreenwald.com
Tue Oct 6 18:43:32 UTC 2009

Hi,

In the spirit of recent re-intros, my name is Dara, I am a media
artist living in Brooklyn and finishing up the controversial practice-
based PhD at RPI.
I don't post much on listservs but I love an in-person discussion.
(BTW, I thought the panel on Changing Labor Value was great! And I
plan to attend the Digital Labor conference.)

I wanted to let the list know about a recent case that has
implications for the use of social media, the repression of dissent,
and is a follow up to the last post on police tactics at the G20.

Last week in Queens, NY a house was raided by the FBI for 16 hours in
connection to the arrest of man who was using Twitter at the G20
protests. Some of the residents of this group house are artists and
all of their video, books, computers, pictures, etc were seized even
though they were not the subject of the investigation. (The mainstream
reports even mention that "pictures of Lenin were seized" bizarre that
the police chose to report that to the media...). Many commentators
have pointed out the hypocrisy of celebrating the use of Twitter in
protests in other countries and then users being arrested when
connected to protests in the US.

Here are links to both corporate and independent coverage of this case.
http://rawstory.com/2009/10/g20-protester-arrested-for-twitter/
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/nyregion/05txt.html
http://www.democracynow.org/2009/10/6/twitter_crackdown_nyc_activist_arrested_for
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/queens_terror_raid_hits_anarchist_ZF8dAa71wIlmwyUXf9S5EO