[iDC] Introduction / Ethical Copyright

James Grimmelmann james at grimmelmann.net
Mon Oct 19 00:17:19 UTC 2009

Greetings all,

I'm (belatedly) following Trebor's request to introduce myself.

At the conference, I plan to present some work I've done on the use of
ethical arguments on all sides of the copyright wars.  The legal
academy has gone remarkably far down the rabbit hole of economic
analysis when it comes to intellectual property.  While ultimately,
the law does need to be justified on grounds of overall goodness for
society, and utilitarian economics does provide one way of asking how
good particular institutions are for all of us, my beef with this
scholarly way of framing the problem is that it's profoundly
disconnected from how almost everyone other than legal scholars talks
about IP, and particularly about copyright.  Even when we do break out
of the utilitarian mold, it's often only to introduce equally
bloodless "distributional concerns."  There's a kind of built-in
irrelevance to the whole back-and-forth.

What struck me, as I was trying to come up with something to say to a
roomful of IP legal scholars, was that advocates in the court of
public opinion almost invariably framed at least some of their
arguments in ethical terms.  Indeed, they appealed to one particular
set of ethical frames -- reciprocity norms -- with remarkable
regularity.  Even more interestingly, there are multiple, conflicting
sets of reciprocity norms kicking around, some of which are deeply
incompatible with each other.  Thus, for example, the movie studios
tell us not to download films because it hurts poor Manny the
stuntman, who just wants to be appreciated by the audiences he works
so hard to please.  There's a norm of voluntary, marketplace exchange
at work there.  Compare the "don't sue your customers" lines adopted
by Downhill Battle -- which gives customers ethical standing _as
customers_, and sees the use of lawsuits as a betrayal of that same
norm of marketplace exchange.  And so on -- in the paper that grew out
of this idea, and in the presentation I'll give based in part on the
paper -- I also look at some of the ethical language used by free
software advocates and Creative Commons.

It's a shtick I've used on law professors, and I think it gets its
power there just because it's wacky and offbeat.  I'm very conscious
that it's actually quite unsophisticated as ethical thinking or
rhetorical analysis, let alone a serious consideration of the
conditions under which the exchange and circulation of creative works
takes place.  I'll be eager to see what this group makes of it.  I'm
hoping some of you may point me to critical sources that I missed in
my first go-round; and I look forward to seeing the ideas refracted
through the remarkable range of perspectives Trebor has cultivated for
the conference.  I also want to immerse myself for a bit in your very
different ways of looking at the world; I find that the ideas that at
first make me the angriest tend to be the ones that ultimately have
the most to offer.

Now, a bit about myself.  I make my living as an intellectual
arbitrageur, primarily between computer science and law.  I teach at
New York Law School -- intellectual property, Internet law, and the
like -- but before I went to law school I was a programmer.  I spend
most of my time trying to explain to lawyers important facts about
computer technologies and the people who make and use them, and the
rest trying to bring important facts about law back to the computer
folks.  For the most part, my method consists of hanging around
interesting people, waiting for them to point out something that they
regard as too obvious to be worth belaboring, then hastening to carry
the insight over to other interesting people in a different field, for
whom it's a surprising insight.

For the last year, I've been thinking a lot about the proposed
settlement in the Google Book Search lawsuit, which is immensely
complicated and perhaps of overriding importance for the future of
books.  I've also written about Google more generally; about privacy
and social networks; about Lessigian theories of law, code and
architecture; and about virtual worlds.

With anticipation,
James