[iDC] introduction

Laura Y Liu liul at newschool.edu
Tue Sep 22 15:15:00 UTC 2009

Hello all,

Another quick introduction here. New media is not my area, but I’m very
excited to have been invited by Trebor to participate in the
conversations here and at the upcoming Digital Labor conference. I teach
in urban studies at Eugene Lang College, The New School. I’m an urban
geographer by training and my research focuses on community organizing
in immigrant communities, especially where issues of labor and identity
intersect. My work suggests that alongside the global city, the
informational city, etc. we have the enduring reproduction and
transformation of what I call the hyper-exploitative “sweatshop city,”
that encompasses both traditional productive labor but also service work
and reproductive labor. So I’m very interested in issues of new forms
and sites of labor and organizing in relation to spatial fixity or
mobility.

Looking forward to future conversation!

Best,
Laura