[iDC] introduction

Melissa Gregg mgregg at usyd.edu.au
Wed Sep 23 00:06:20 UTC 2009

Wow Laura, your work sounds fantastic - really pleased to hear you'll be at
the conference. Do you have some links to more we could read about this idea
of the sweatshop city? Or would you be able to write something further for
us here?

Cheers
Melissa

Dr Melissa Gregg

Lecturer in Gender and Cultural Studies
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry
Quadrangle Building A14
University of Sydney NSW 2006

p 02 9351 3657 | m 0408 599 359 | e mel.gregg at usyd.edu.au

http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/departs/gcs/staff/profiles/mgregg.shtml

Enrol in our NEW Master of Cultural Studies:
http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/departs/gcs/postgrad/coursework.shtml

On 23/9/09 1:15 AM, "Laura Y Liu" <liul at newschool.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,

Another quick introduction here. New media is not my area, but I¹m
> very
excited to have been invited by Trebor to participate in
> the
conversations here and at the upcoming Digital Labor conference. I
> teach
in urban studies at Eugene Lang College, The New School. I¹m an
> urban
geographer by training and my research focuses on community
> organizing
in immigrant communities, especially where issues of labor and
> identity
intersect. My work suggests that alongside the global city,
> the
informational city, etc. we have the enduring reproduction
> and
transformation of what I call the hyper-exploitative ³sweatshop
> city,²
that encompasses both traditional productive labor but also service
> work
and reproductive labor. So I¹m very interested in issues of new forms
and
> sites of labor and organizing in relation to spatial fixity or
mobility.

Looking forward to future
> conversation!

Best,