[iDC] learning ecologies

Sean Justice sean at seanjustice.com
Sat Apr 17 17:02:22 UTC 2010

Hi Elana

Delightfully, deliciously, the link on the failfaire failed.

MobileActive returned "this page does not exist..."

But then, helpfully, they provided an automated search function that linked
to the relevant comments....a model of failure and work-around if there ever
was one. Plus, a nice way to start the day. Thanks for that! (I don't know
if anyone else got similar results, but I hope so.)

And seriously, I second your call for more thoughtful attention on this
question re: failure (writ large). From the art education perspective, we
fail most at  failure, and to use failure as grounds for discussion and
further work. I celebrate my failures and try to get students to revel with
me. No wonder I'm still an adjunct! (You are correct: it's a tricky
business.)

Lots of good work can be cited around this topic, i.e., the dialectic of
positive/negative cognitive pressures to conform socially, intellectually,
spiritually, economically -- to bow before the status quo. In a sense,
perhaps, I wonder if we might locate our malaise of mediocrity on that
continuum. Your experience on the ground with NGO counter-productivity bred
from a sort of technology competition is poignant. I see something similar
in the MFA programs here and abroad. I agree that there is much to say on
this issue, from many different angles.

Thanks for bringing it to the foreground.

Sean Justice

--
Sean Justice
NYU Steinhardt

International Center of Photography
General Studies and Continuing Education

Parsons The New School for Design
BFA Photography

http://www.seanjustice.com/

Considering Pictures, an open journal about pictures and photography
http://seanjustice.blogspot.com/

C: 347/232-5471