[iDC] iCollege

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 22:10:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:53 PM, John Hopkins <jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net> wrote:

>> I am working on project in many ways parallel to what is advertised at
>> the Mendeley page, but  only the web part, i.e. the
>> share/discuss/discover part.  Interestingly we are also London based
>> but our grant mandates us to release our code completely as Open
>> Source, so maybe it could be interesting for you.  We currently have
>> just one site: http://philpapers.org/ , it is a web site for
>> philosophers, but the engine theoretically should be applicable for
>> other research fields.  It is a London University project sponsored by
>> a JISC grant.
>
> And I don't see any difference (okay, a front end), but a random sampling of
> texts led me to proprietary pay-per-view papers...  Open Source access to a
> fiscal firewall?  I can't discuss/share/discover what I can't afford for....

We are harvesting quite a lot of sources many of them are pay-per-view
- but we are not in anyway affiliated with them, with the exception of
some books that since recently have affiliation links to Amazon and
AbeBooks - but I think that is fair play.  All the information that we
ourselves gather is free - I have not payed too much attention for the
legalese - but I think it is both free as in beer and as in speech.

Answering the question about download link - I did not say it is Open
Source right now - only that our grant mandates us  to publish it as
Open Source - the decision of when exactly this happens is not really
my part of the job, but the grant ends with the start of next year.

--
Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/