[iDC] Replacing Facebook

nathan jurgenson nathanjurgenson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 15:06:20 UTC 2010

To Andreas' point that Facebook is just a "toy" as a rebuttal to my point
that quitting is not a feasible option for many: "Toy" could restated as
saying Facebook is a "tool".

First, youth today are growing into a world where knowing how to navigate
imperfect and profit-centered social networking sites will be an important
skill. That is, knowing how to live in public to make friends and other
social connections effectively in spite of Facebook's privacy snafus will be
increasingly important.

Second, and less strategically, if one's friends are all using Facebook to
share photos, create event invitations, etc, it would be socially
detrimental to quit.

And, thirdly, Bourdieu taught us well how my first and second points are
actually quite interrelated - that youth will need to learn a successful
social media habitus to perform well in the world of the future (or
present?). ~nathan

Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 11:13:52 -0700
From: Andreas Schiffler <aschiffler at ferzkopp.net>

Isn't the problem one of collective inflexibility. As Nathan wrote:
"however, for many, quitting facebook is not really an option (e.g.,
because all of your peers use it)."

Why is it not an option? Isn't facebook just a "toy", seemingly
empowered by its reach? And if it isn't a toy, what does it really "do"
for the users? Quitters need only look for substitute of these "do's"
they'd give up online, or maybe more importantly offline as Geert
pointed out.

--Andreas

http://contexts.org/sociologylens/2010/05/26/trade-your-facebook-in-for-a-fakebook/