[iDC] Computrace query

Douglas Schuler douglas at publicsphereproject.org
Sun May 23 18:34:11 UTC 2010

I'd second the creepy descriptor! There are others...

I wonder what other schools use the software and what the teachers at
those places are doing about it?

I would think the Chronicle of HIgher Education may be interested in
this story as would the National Education Association or American
Association of University Professors.

-- Doug

"Absolute Software -- Giving Control Back to IT" (from their web site)

On May 23, 2010, at 10:00 AM, Tom Novelli wrote:

> That's creepy.  If I were you I'd buy my own laptop and refuse to use
> any computer provided by the IT department.  (Besides, I'm a
> programmer who uses Linux, which I doubt Computrace would support
> anyhow.)  People ought to stand up to this crap.  I've worked for
> plenty of employers that trusted workers with laptops, vehicles, etc.
> This is crazy.
>
> --
> Tom Novelli
> http://tnovelli.github.com
>
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 2:30 AM, Jonathan Beller <jbeller at pratt.edu>
> wrote:
>> Dear IDCers, a moment of your expertise if you have the time (I beg
>> you to
>> forgive the ignorance which the question below betrays):
>> At long last (6 years) my institution has agreed to buy me a new
>> computer.
>> Long story short I asked to bypass our IT department and receive
>> the unit
>> directly, but Pratt requires the installation of Computrace, and
>> will not
>> turn the computer over to me without it. My preliminary
>> investigation of
>> this program by the aptly named company, Absolute Software, shows
>> it to be
>> spyware capable of grabbing real time screen shots from my computer,
>> monitoring key strokes, and remotely deleting the hard drive.
>> Supposedly
>> these features are activated only in the event of the computers
>> theft, but I
>> do not take much comfort from such assurances. First is this
>> assessment of
>> Computrace's capacities correct and second, does it not seem that
>> acquiescing to the installation of such programs institutes an
>> unprecedented
>> level of surveillance over our intellectual and sensual
>> exploration as well as our very creativity. We know that in
>> principle our
>> every screen-view and inscription is retrievable by those who have
>> immense
>> power over us. If this understanding is correct, how can we
>> tolerate that
>> our liberal arts institutions allow a window open to the
>> possibility of human freedom be closed not only for us but
>> --should this situation become the standard -- perhaps for all time?
>> Your thoughts will
>> be greatly appreciated and also used to develop an arsenal to change
>> our institutional policy should that prove to be the proper route.
>> With thanks,
>> Jon Beller
>>

>> Jonathan Beller
>> Professor
>> Humanities and Media Studies
>> and Critical and Visual Studies
>> Pratt Institute
>> jbeller at pratt.edu
>> 718-636-3573 fax

>> iDC Photo Stream:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/idcnetwork/

> [...]

Public Sphere Project
      http://www.publicsphereproject.org/

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution
(project)
      http://www.publicsphereproject.org/patterns/

Liberating Voices!  A Pattern Language for Communication Revolution
(book)
      http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11601

Douglas Schuler