[iDC] Computrace query

David Darts thinkbeyondthebarcode at gmail.com
Mon May 24 14:18:27 UTC 2010

Absolute Software sells Computrace along with Absolute Manage
(formerly LANRev) which was used by the Lower Merion School District
in PA to spy on students - as you may recall, administrators used the
software to surreptitiously take thousands of private pics of their
students via their district-issued laptops http://bit.ly/c8GZwX

Along with being creepy, this software also contains a pretty big
security hole http://bit.ly/b5j1bX

For those so inclined, it should be possible to remove Computrace on
your own. On a PC, updating/flashing the laptop's BIOS would likely do
the trick. On a mac, reformatting the disk and reinstalling the OS
would probably work.

--David