[iDC] [PMX:#] Re: Replacing Facebook (Geert Lovink)

nicholas knouf nak44 at cornell.edu
Sun May 30 19:15:18 UTC 2010

This is the same idea behind the track-me-not plugin by Daniel Howe and
Helen Nissenbaum:

http://cs.nyu.edu/trackmenot/

Floods google searches with other, random searches.

I've heard from some CS people who study this sort of thing for a living
that the tactic is not as good as it seems, as too few people are doing
such things for it to be effective.  (It's the same argument as with
crypto; since so few people use it, other forms of traffic and data
analysis can be used to build a profile based only on your use of the
technique.  The flood facebook idea is only so good insofar it does not
mark you as an outlier.)  Not to say that I don't like the idea(s) or I
don't think they can be efficacious; rather that they can't be relied
upon by themselves.

nick