[iDC] Deinstitutionalizing education

naxsmash naxsmash at mac.com
Mon Oct 25 17:46:47 UTC 2010

Davin writes

On Oct 25, 2010, at 6:36 AM, davin heckman wrote:

>  Locally, the closest you get to this is
> in the fairly large network of homeschoolers, most of whom are
> religious, but many of whom either start out or end up being quite
> capable of independent thinking.  The key difference here, is that
> parents have adopted a countercultural attitude....  which isn't
> always necessarily a positive one....  but which does effectively
> prove that how one is invested in the process of education determines
> its potential

I have noticed the same thing just this weekend when 9 thirty
somethings hung out at our swamp studio for their 'thon' (marathon
teachin/discussion) for 36 hours-- instant studio/ think tank.

- all were  homeschooled or 'alternatively' raised as kids.  They had
spent a lot of time on their own in childhood in free reading and
producing-- in a
'countercultural' space-- an autodidact principle that has very long
term positive implications.

A studio / project based kind of learning.... founded on this studio
model, is NUVU in Cambridge (Mass)...

"Students register for a specific studio such as “Balloon Mapping”,
“Music and the City”, or “Future of Global Warming” of which there
will be approximately 10 students, one Coach and an Assistant Coach.
The Coach begins by providing a general overview of a problem to the
students, an ambiguous real-world problem with potentially millions of
answers. With the Coach’s help each student frames the problem from
his/her perspective and enters into an iterative development process
supported by the studio team of students and advisors.

Students are provided with access to outside resources – leading
thinkers and experts – to whom they present their framework and
receive feedback. Students document their process and progress,
continually reviewing it with the Coach. They set parameters,
synthesize, and continue refining, refining, refining. NuVu trains
students to apply multiple perspectives to challenge and refine ideas
over and over again until it becomes a natural way of learning."

http://nuvustudio.org/program/

christina