[iDC] Deinstitutionalization?

Diego Ernesto Leal Fonseca diego at diegoleal.org
Mon Oct 25 15:37:58 UTC 2010

Hello there everyone,

Thanks to Trebor and Ismael for the invitation to share some thoughts
about education and ICT from a Latin American perspective.

I've been traveling the last few days, so just now i get the chance to
try and introduce myself to the list.  My name is Diego Leal, i'm from
Colombia but at the time i'm living in Rio de Janeiro.  Until 2008 i was
project manager for the National Program on Media and ICT Use in Higher
Education at the Colombian Ministry of Education, where I was in charge
of leading/coordinating several initiatives (including some work on
learning objects, teacher and administrators training -more info here:
http://bit.ly/9yJJZu -, online communities for teachers and the
development of institution-wide strategic plans for the use of ICT).
Then I left for Brazil, and for the last year I've been working with
several universities in Colombia, exploring the issues involved in the
local offering of open online courses (in the line of the recent work
developed by David Wiley, Alec Couros, Stephen Downes and George Siemens
-more info here: http://bit.ly/cVcO3Y - ).

Based on my experience, even though i agree there is a huge potential
for learning supported by ICT  (which is always recognized and, let's
say, advertised at the government-level), we still have a long way to go
in order to make real that potential.  I'd like to go back to some of
the issues mentioned by Ismael.

I'd like to begin by saying that i'm not that sure there is a trend
towards de-institutionalization, at least in my country.  As a matter of
fact, i'd say at the government level there is an interest to go in the
opposite direction.  In Colombia there is a lot of work on policies (see
http://bit.ly/bkAiir ) aimed to articulate secondary education,
vocational/technical programs and professional programs to help students
to stay into the formal system (something locally called "propaedeutic
cycles" - http://bit.ly/9GTyYn , http://bit.ly/9rs2TC ), and the goals
regarding competitiveness involve getting more students into masters and
doctorate programs.  For a detailed discussion of some trends in Higher
Education in Latin America (Spanish), see http://bit.ly/dsviQu .   So it
seems to me that "lifelong learning" starts to look like "lifelong
schooling".  To be honest, i don't see a real challenge to educational
institutions, at least in terms of their role certificating learners.

In Colombia, as well as in many other third world countries, online
learning holds the promise of bringing quality education to places where
historically there has been a lack of it.  Just as everywhere else,
there are concerns about quality and there is a great diversity in the
kind of educational experiences provided by formal institutions, mostly
focused on resource management and content delivery.

Even though most institutions talk about the importance of
pedagogical/andragogical design, and many of them are moving to
competence-oriented curricula (and it's open to discussion whether this
makes sense or not), when you get to see the actual use of technology
reality looks quite different.  For good or worse, a lot of attention is
still on technology by itself (that is, the hardware). Whether it's
smart boards, clickers or LMS, some institutions seem to think that
having the hardware guarantees results.

Even though there are several higher education institutions
participating in OCW, discussion about legal issues, openness and open
licenses is still incipient.  Even though there are a lot of teachers
interested in ICT (and using it), I'd say there is a lot of confusion in
this area at the local level. Sometimes hype seems to be stronger than
research.

Take, for instance, the whole digital natives debate. The international
research contradicting those claims seems vastly ignored, and regional
studies seem to take a non-critical approach.   The language divide is
not helpful, either. Recent publications in English reach a small number
of people, and there is a strong dependence on bloggers and other
sources that translate or comment some of these resources. However, the
analysis required to bring that research to our local contexts is
usually overlooked and, as a result, conclusions that are valid for a
completely different context are presented as facts of our particular
reality  (Of course, this doesn't mean there is not local research being
done, but still)

As you would expect, the discussion quickly involves more and more
perspectives, taking us to political, economical and ideological
issues.  I just wanted to point out that reality, at least from my
perspective, looks extremely complex, and maybe technology is not having
yet the impact many of us expected.  It remains to be seen whether or
not it will.

Gee, looks like i got carried away with this rambling. :-)  It is clear
there are a lot more to be discussed, but I guess I'll leave it here, so
we can start a conversation around some of these issues.  I'd say is
definitely worth it making visible the differences between our contexts,
so we can recognize opportunities to improve them.

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to the discussion.

(By the way, please excuse the language mistakes. I'm still improving my
English ;-) )

Best,

---
Diego Leal