[iDC] Deinstitutionalization?

Ismael Peña-López ictlogist at ictlogy.net
Tue Oct 26 09:15:27 UTC 2010

Hi,

I would like to make two short comments on Diego's message.

The first one is concerning the monopoly of certification that the
educational system has almost everywhere in the world. This is certainly a
barrier for a certain degree of decentralization or de-institutionalization.
I've notwithstanding witnessed certain movements towards institutions
recognizing former experience and/or training and validating it as part of
the curriculum of a specific subject. And I'm not talking about recognizing
e.g. similar subjects in another university's degree, but trying to assess
what the prior knowledge/experience of the student is before he enrolled on
a course and despite the origin of this knowledge/experience.

I think the growing alternatives to formal education will push educational
institutions in this direction and, if not end up formally with the monopoly
of certification, at least break it de facto.

Concerning what could happen and what is really happening (ie. your examples
in Colombia), I guess that is exactly the point I wanted to raise: despite
what institutions do within their domains (smart boards in the classroom and
so on), what are the pressures like from _outside_ of the system? what are
the trends? what are the small though decisive steps that people are taking
to change the way they learn and their (in)dependence from formal education?

i.

Ismael Peña-López
Estudis de Dret i Ciència Política
Universitat Oberta de Catalunya