[iDC] Discussion: The Edupunks' Guide

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Mon Aug 8 20:36:27 UTC 2011

Anya, I think your book looks quite useful and I genuinely hope
people use it. But I don't think anything in it positions you to
criticize academia for not being 'punk rock'. Academia is not - of
course - punk rock in any way. For not only does it not embody the
values or behaviours or style of punk but it actually represents
their antithesis. But then again academia never said it was punk
rock. Whereas your book does claim that heritage.

I haven't been part of the Edupunk discourse in any way so I don't
know how seriously anyone who uses it takes the punk thing, but in
the context of the many radical DIY pedagogical possibilities enabled
by the web I think it deserves to be taken quite seriously. Or at
least as seriously (and not) as it took itself. Which isn't the case
with your book.

For example, DIY training in order to gain certification from
existing learning authorities can hardly be considered to reflect the
DIY spirit of punk culture, yet that seems to be a very significant
focus of your book. Again, I have no real problem with this. If
people want to do it they should go for it. But the deeper
possibilities are to explore how knowledge can be usefully located,
generated and shared *outside* of existing knowledge-certification
academies. Which also includes the possibility - indeed the
likelihood - of being in direct conflict with those institutions, or
of trying to achieve goals that are not supported by those
institutions. In fact, punk rock went out of its way to constantly
provoke those conflicts, and to both implicitly and explicitly
highlight subversive epistemologies and non-conformist social values.
So where is your chapter on hacking? Stealing degrees? Making
plagiarism pay? Somehow I think Malcolm McLaren would have approached
the Edupunk's guide with a little more panache. I mean, the Gates
Foundation, really?

A more radical and authentic punk pedagogy in the age of the web
would I think focus on radical personal creativity, explicit defiance
of educational norms, the power of collective action, networked
subversion, etc. A mashup of John Dewey, Kathy Acker and Julian
Assange maybe. Whereas your book - useful as it may be - is a whole
lot safer than a book with its title should be. Or could be.

js

--
www.johnsobol.com
bluesology • printopolis • digitopia