[iDC] Mobility Shifts, introductions

jessica westbrook jessica at jessicawestbrook.com
Tue Aug 16 01:03:17 UTC 2011

Hello Mobility Shifts,

I am writing to introduce myself and my collaborative partner Adam
Trowbridge. Currently Adam and I are developing foundation level new media
curriculum for interdisciplinary art and design practices. This year we are
co-teaching a couple of pilots courses at SAIC. One of our pilots, a
Research Studio course, intersects independent research with design methods
and web media/communication platforms. The other pilot, a Core Studio
course, explores processes and materials (through surface, space, time, and
response), using new media tools, workflows, and digital output.

Westbrook:
Jessica Westbrook is Director of Technology Initiatives and
Assistant Professor in The Department of Contemporary Practices at The
School of the Art Institute of Chicago. She is working towards the
meaningful integration of new media and technology-based art and design
practices at the foundation level. Westbrook’s independent research
explores desire, contradiction, and cultural landscapes, and has been
exhibited nationally and internationally including: the Carnegie
Museum, Hirshorn Museum of American Art, Axiom Center for New and
Experimental Media, Eyedrum, Syracuse University, and ICA Grand Rapids.
Her networked based work in collaboration with Adam Trowbridge was awarded a
Terminal Commission in 2010, and their Channel TWo media distribution system
“Play” received a Turbulence Commission and Pace exhibition in 2011.
Westbrook and Trowbridge’s co-authored, Media-N, Journal of the New Media
Caucus (Fall 2010), “Dynamic Coupling,” addressing issues of collaboration
in research, practice, and academia.

Trowbridge:
Adam Trowbridge is an artist focused on research that fractures
the intersection of sensation, cognition and communication. He received
a 2011 Turbulence Commission for his work with Channel TWo. He co-edited,
with Jessica Westbrook, “Dynamic Coupling,” Fall 2010, Media-N: Journal of
the New Media Caucus, addressing issues of collaboration in research,
practice, and academia. His work has been featured nationally and
internationally including Pace Digital Gallery and Anthology Film Archives,
NYC; Pleasure Dome, Toronto; Workspaces Ltd., Galeria Homero Massena,
Brazil, San Francisco, CA; as well as multiple video/new media festival
screenings. Trowbridge is working with Philadelphia’s Basekamp on the
Plausible Artworlds project, a collaborative initiative that aims to provide
a platform for examining and accompanying the emergence of plural artistic
environments. He is Adjunct Associate Professor at the School of the Art
Institute of Chicago and will become Assistant Professor (August 2012) in
the Department of Contemporary Practices.

We are interested in discourse surrounding foundations in art/design edu,
the subversive and innovative uses of technologies in activist cultures, and
gaming as social practice.

Sincerely, Jessica + Adam