[iDC] Creativity and value in contemporary capitalism - a few words about FSUW

janek sowa jan.sowa at ha.art.pl
Thu Aug 18 12:20:19 UTC 2011

Dear iDCers,

I am writing again, as promised, to give you a hint of current
activities undertaken by Free/Slow University Warsaw (FSUW). I will not
concentrate on FSUW itself, as its presentation will be the main part of
my contribution to the summit in October. I’d rather like to tell you a
few words about what kind of problems are we interested in and how are
we working.

This year’s FSUW activity revolves around the question of value. As I
wrote before, we aim at parallel exploration of two domains: artistic
creation and production of knowledge (both within academia and outside
of it). It’s in these two fields that one can see the fundamental
tendency of contemporary capitalism that Carlo Vercellone describes as
“rent becoming of profit” (and that has been explored by theorists such
as Marazzi, Harvey, Hardt, Negri and others). What interests us the most
are the mechanisms of value appropriation and extraction that allow some
key individuals and organization to turn labor of multitudes into some
form of private capital (material, but also social or symbolic) and/or a
merchandise. Similar questions have been recently addressed by Greorgy
Scholette in his book The Dark Matter, however we try to attain  a more
general perspective that allows to look outside the art-world alone.

We elaborated five different aspects that we try to address in our
investigations:

1. Ideological appropriations: cognitive capitalism and creative industries.
Although it’s been more than half a century since Horkheimer and Adorno
diagnosed the rise of culture industries, commodification of cultural
production seems to be  still reaching new territories. Ironically, the
very term “cultural industries” is being used as a positive description
of new wave of capitalist expansion. With the recent neoliberal twist in
cultural management strategies the imperatives of efficiency and profit
generation have become the guidelines even in the public sector. So how
are we to judge the famous and much discussed autonomy of artistic
creation, scientific inquiry and cultural production? Does it have any
critical and subversive potential? Is it a class privilege allowing
those who have accumulated  enough capital (in its various forms) to
bypass and overcome the demands of the economic power leaving the rest
as an easy prey to the market forces? Or maybe it offers the last and
only bastion of defense against ubiquitous commodification?

2. The future of work: the changing forms of labor and its remuneration.
The transition from a production in a closed, industrial plant to the
times of dispersed and networked social factory is accompanied not by  a
spread of wealth, but a growing precariousness. More and more work is
performed by each and every of us – when we browse the Net, when we
watch commercials, when we share photos on Facebook, when we search on
Google, visit the galleries or even install software on our computers –
yet remuneration we get for any kind of work is getting not only smaller
and smaller but also less and less stable and predictable.  Is it a
manifestation of logic of exploitation and alienation impossible to
overcome within the capitalist mode of production? Or, maybe, we need to
invent and introduce new forms of wealth redistribution that would take
into the consideration the new logic of cognitive capitalism, like
guaranteed minimum income? What new forms of resistance to exploitation
can and should accompany the new forms of labor that we see emerging in
front our eyes?

3. Propriety and value.
The question of value production has always been in the heart of
political economy as well as its critique. How much the new forms of
production rely on the old ways of producing and appropriating value?
What are the new mechanisms of value extraction and how do they
function? How new forms of intellectual property developing parallelly
in the fields of high technology and culture – like copyleft, creative
commons, copy-far-left etc. exemplified by such diverse phenomena as
free software movement and Brazilian  Techno Braga – challenge the very
mechanisms of capital accumulation? Artistic experiments are, more than
anything else, immediately appropriated and commodified by creative
industries. Art is therefore involved in an endless "minority game" with
the reality of cognitive capitalism. Is autonomy of art still possible
and how, or is it a mere myth? It looks like contemporary art – with its
tacit yet crucial dependence on both market forces and public
institutions as well as its mechanisms of exploiting the general
creative intellect – is a perfect laboratory of future surplus value
production and appropriation. Can it also inspire us how to resist and
subvert the rule of capital? Is there an artistic mode of resistance
parallel to the artistic mode of production that we can see functioning
in creative industries or artists led gentrification?

4. Peripheries of cognitive capitalism – continuation or redefinition.
One of the basic feature of capitalist world-system has been its
division into core and periphery. Many contemporary theorists – like
Antonio Negri or Christian Marazzi – argue that the transition from the
times of material labor and industrial capitalism to immaterial labor
and cognitive capitalism has made this distinction obsolete. The
struggle between capital and labor is now supposed to take place within
a unified circuit of production in the form of conflict between the
Empire and the Multitude. Where does it leave traditional peripheries of
capitalist economy, like the Central and Eastern Europe that played –
according to Wallerstein and Braudel – the role of historically first
Third World? Is there anything specific and particular about this part
of the world that should make its way into theoretical analysis and
practical action?

5. Politics in the age of immaterial labor.
If it is true that neither production nor labor nor power are what they
used to be, one has to devise and implement new forms of political
organization and struggle. Trade unions and party politics seem to be as
obsolete as industrial factory and disciplinary power. Some argue that
the multitudes emerge as already politicized subjects of resistance and
revolutionary change, but isn’t it a too optimistic vision of future
politics? And how resistant this resistance can be? With a wave of
“Twitter Revolutions” and “Facebook Activism” the Internet has been
hailed as a new tool of struggle, however the Wikileaks affair showed
how easy it is to block inconvenient content and to pull the plug on
free communication. On the other hand “the idea of communism” advocated
by Žižek and Badiou in their two recent books and conferences (2009
London, 2010 Berlin) may seem like a call to go back to traditional
forms and ways of struggling against capital. Is there an alternative?

To address these issues we are trying to self-organize in an autonomous
circle of research and self-teaching. By autonomous I mean not
necessarily relying on support of public or private institution, but
rather based on our own resources (knowledge, free time, skills, social
capital etc.). This year we started with a small and irregular seminars
(a sort of self-teaching/learning circle) dedicated to classical
theories of value (mainly the ones revolving around the labor theory of
value that we treat as a starting point) as well as contemporary
investigations dealing with the problems mentioned above (Bourdieu,
Zukin, Csikszentmihalyi, Wallerstein, Diederichsen and others).

As I wrote in my previous post, one of the inspirations for FSUW is the
operaist idea of co-research. What it means for us is that we always try
to refer theoretical issues to our own situation (for example, talking
not about precarious workers, but with them) and to combine theoretical
inquiry with a construction of political subjectivity. As we are
deliberately addressing problems of cognitive and not industrial
capitalism, partners in our research are not industrial workers but
comrades belonging, like most of us, to the group of precarious
cognitariat: writers, designers, curators, artists, theorists etc. We
maintain links with similar organizations combining theory, practice and
political investigations around Europe. So, another part of our this
year’s co-research activity was FSUW Summer Camp that took part in early
July in Kaszuby region in northern Poland. Participants included members
Carrot Workers Collective (http://carrotworkers.wordpress.com/) and
Critical Practice (http://criticalpracticechelsea.org ) from London,
Microsillions (http://www.microsillons.org/) from Geneva as well as
Praktyka Teoretyczna (http://praktykateoretyczna.pl/) and Krytyka
Polityczna (http://www.krytykapolityczna.pl/) from Poland.

One of the reasons for organizing the summer camp was to make
preparations for an international conference we are organizing in
October in Warsaw. It’s called The labor of multitudes - political
economy of social creativity and will be devoted to the question of
value central for this year’s FSUW research. You’ll find more details
about the conference on FSUW webpage:
http://wuw2010.pl/index.php?lang=eng&page=wydarzenia&id=107&mod=opis

What I described here is a work in progress, so, obviously, there is
more questions than answers. It would be great to hear your comments,
thoughts and doubts.

All the best!

Janek Sowa