[iDC] giselle beiguelman>introduction

giselle beiguelman desvirtual at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:11:40 UTC 2011

My name is Giselle Beiguelman and as everybody who already posted to
this list recently, I’m very happy and proud of being invited by
Trebor Scholz to the Mobility Shifts Summit in New York. I’m a
Brazilian mediartist, curator and researcher. I teach Art History and
Design at the School of Architecture and Urbanism of the University of
São Paulo (USP). My artistic work has been presented in international
venues such as Net_Condition (ZKM, Karlsruhe), el final del eclipse
(Fundación Telefonica, Madrid), The 25th São Paulo Biennial,
Algorithmic Revolution (ZKM), 3rd Sevilla Biennial, Transitio_MX
(Mexico), YOU_ser (ZKM), Geografías Celulares (Fundacion Telefonica,
Buenos Aires and Lima), artemov (Belo Horizonte and São Paulo) and
Visual Foreign Correspondents (Berlin), among others. I was Curator of
Nokia Trends (2007 and 2008), of the Brazilian participation in ISEA
Ruhr (2009) and of the on-line festivals HTTPvideo (2008 and 2010) and
HTTPpix (2010). I worked as Artistic Director of Sergio Motta
Institute (2008-2011), and I’m this year the curator of its 9th Art
and Technology Award. I was a member of the Interactive Art category
of ars electronica jury in 2010 and 2011 and from 2001 to 2010 I
taught Creative Processes with Media at the graduate program in
Communication and Semiotics of PUC-SP. My recent publications include
chapters in the Urban Screens Reader (Institute of Network Cultures,
2009); V01Ce - Vocal Aesthetics in Digital Arts and Media (MIT Press,
2010) and Beyond the Screen (Transcript, 2010). My most recent book is
a collection of essays -- Nomadismos Tecnologicos -- which I organized
with Jorge La Ferla and was published by Ariel (Barcelona, 2011). More
about my work and me: www.desvirtual.com

I’ve been studying media arts, with a special emphasis in Latin
America and Brazil, and the way it has been questioning industrial
standards and the web 2.0 marketing, dislocating the discussion about
media and art from interactive features to agency processes.

What follows is an outline of what I intend to present and discuss at
Mobility Shifts: