[iDC] the American Education Bridge

Paul Prueitt psp at ontologystream.com
Tue Jul 12 13:51:03 UTC 2011

An Outline of a Manuscript on the American Education Bridge

for discussion by the IDC forum...

(Please note that the proposal is that this infrastructure be open
source, and thus usable outside of the United States.  The assistance
of the IDC forum in exploring the international, and national, issues
is appreciated.)

How This Book Is Organized

Chapter One: Our Purpose develops intellectual constructions that we
use to fully explore what is now called “demand theory”[1].  Chapter
Two, Shifting Paradigms and New Resources provides a complete
overview of the entire book.  Chapter Three: The Nature of the
Problem to be Addressed frames the difference between current
educational policy and educational practice, and an alternative
paradigm.  These three chapters make the argument that current work
in educational psychology may be corrected and a new paradigm agreed on.

The effort is to bring best practices forward through a deep
philosophical analysis and then to ground these practices in modern
natural science.  We expect to create a demographic study of all
outcomes related to mathematics education, and more generally to the
processes through which an individual learns.  We will be selective
in our choice of advanced knowledge management tools.  Statistical
models, the mythology of artificial intelligence, and hidden negative
behaviors will be exposed.  The new paradigm will be student centric,
and controlled by the individual in a life long learning process.  We
will celebrate the unique nature of each individual, and through this
celebration we will allow the individual to again become the center
of our political processes.

We use a knowledge of management type technology, based on
substructural frameworks, as discussed in Chapter Four, Illustration
Using a Focus Topic Framework and Chapter Five, Generalization and
Application to Other Disciplines.  Chapter Six, Technical Discussions
further develops technical issues.

The challenge we have in these three chapters is to motivate the use
of current Virtual Worlds (VWs) based on consistent principles seen
in the natural science. A new pedagogy and a knowledge representation
approach is described that uses ontology formalisms.  The case is
made that principles seen in natural organizational stratification
inform us as to how a virtual public communication infrastructure
might be developed.  We then propose to place very advanced knowledge
management tools, such as those described at ReverseTwitter.com,
under the hood of a next generation 3D simulation world
infrastructure called educationWorlds.com.

The central conjecture is natural capacity for learning is strongly
inhibited by the current mass education system in the United States.
Movement to universal life long learning is provisioned by the
pedagogy, the representations of curriculums and by infrastructure
supporting the use of virtual classrooms with avatars.  A new
pedagogy is based on rebuilding the capability as children
matriculate in the current K-12 system.  The pedagogy has its roots
in the R L Moore learning method[2] and in Prueitt’s study of
cognitive neuroscience and systems theory[3].  The two traditions are
merged in the form of a “lifting pedagogy”, as discussed in Chapter
Seven.

The conjecture is that an acquired learning disability is a natural
and predictable consequence from education seen as a product to be
supplied and consumed.  The perceptual system itself is interfered
with as the humanities, science and mathematics are, often poorly,
presented without acknowledging individual creativity and interests.
We suggest that evidence for this conjecture is measurable, using
methods from neuroscience, in the majority of Americans.  The results
of decades of educational crisis affect our capacity to remain
competitive in evolving global marketplaces.

Chapter Seven, The Lifting Pedagogy develops a next generation of
real and virtual classrooms and web based processes and procedures,
which are seen as both a remediation and an enhancement, working for
the individual and society.  We may regain lost national capacity.
Chapter Eight, Applied Research on Mechanisms Known to be involved in
Learning, outlines the natural science and mathematics preliminary to
the application of science to educational theory.

[1] Prueitt, Stephen (2011) “Systems Theory and Our Education System,
submitted (July 5th 2011) for publication
[2] Parker, J (2005) R. L. Moore: Mathematician and Teacher
(Mathematical Association of America)
[3] Prueitt, Paul Stephen (1988) Some techniques in mathematical
modeling of complex biological systems exhibiting learning, PHD
Thesis, in Pure and Applied Mathematics, University of Texas at
Arlington Press