[iDC] The Future of the Humanities: The Culture of Application

naxsmash naxsmash at mac.com
Thu Jul 14 20:47:17 UTC 2011

For science as well the stakes are as high. From rhetoric observe how the keyword 'science' will often turn into a metanym for "applied technologies for social 'outcomes'"-- (as art must instrumentalize-- or (be)'come' ! :-)). Stephan I love that "Culture of Application.'  Both lab science and artistic research process raise alarms with those who react against risk. Removal of Wojnarowicz's "Fire in My Belly" from the Smithsonian shows how hot objects can be made to  stand in as a scapegoat for the repressed.  Real science too is far from cool. The Spanish Inquisition...against Gallileo, against Bruno...the replacement of science education with that oxymoron 'intelligent design.'...   N'importe quoi/ qui, art + science are in a continuum or better an elliptical curve always at risk of snapping and shattering under the attack of those authoritarian interests in universities who will prefer their Applications after hours, like cocktails, on ice, without a twist.

christina

beyond the binaries ,

On Jul 14, 2011, at 11:00 AM, Stefan Roemer wrote:

> ----application-poetry in relation to the political processes of cutting grants and subventions for independent practices which effect harsh social consequences for bigger and bigger parts of the society? What makes the creative a class?
>
> I want to draw a simple analogy: my generation was in the 1980s able to study for a specific knowledge in the sense of developing a specific interest; in contrast my BA-students have to study for points. After their BA they often realize that they practiced for two or three years the wrong issue, so they start with another BA.
> Isn’t this highly absurd for a system (in Europe synonym with "Bologna") which promoted itself with the goal of more effective studies. Now it seems to me that the most ineffective studystructure is the better one.
>
> Sorry for this personal claim.
> Stefan

actually not absurd for the system, which wants the tuition and time of student-bodies =  attention-monetizable = perpetuation of the system.....