[iDC] Public Library thread

greta byrum gretabyrum at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 19:41:48 UTC 2011

Apropos Kathleen's excellent points below, I would like to share a project
that explores the way that public spaces (sometimes surreptitiously) become
information-sharing points. I was interested in looking at whether the
institutional environment of the public library is replicated in other
public spaces, and so chose to look at NYC's subways as mobile
reading-rooms. The result is the Underground Public
Library<http://gretabyrum.com/files/UPL/index.html>site, which is
currently set up for crowdsourcing and data-gathering, but
which will hopefully become a repository for information about underground
reading in NYC, organized geospatially. I also hope to publish writings by
others interested in how reading in public works as a social, spatial, and
cultural phenomenon; please contact me if interested.

Thanks,
Greta

--
Greta Byrum