[iDC] Why Parents Help Children Violate Facebook's 13+ Rule

danah boyd zephoria at zephoria.org
Thu Nov 10 02:29:43 UTC 2011

I think that it's irresponsible to collect data about people without their understanding of what's going on and their ability to intervene in a reasonable way.  For one version of why, I recommend reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" and consider what her family went through.  I also think that a lot of databases are being used to manipulate and segregate people and I think that we need to think through the cultural implications of this. Not at an individual harm level, but at a societal level.  What happens when people of color get different experiences than white folks?  Think: Filter Bubble issues.  Finally, there's the worst case scenario.  I think about how the Dutch government's database on its citizens was abused in the 1940s.

All of these techs come with good and bad.  I don't want to throw away the good to ward off the bad. But I think that we need to have an informed citizenry and I think that people need to understand the implications of a data society.  I don't think that we can just accept policies that keep people in the dark, even if it's meant to be for their own good. I think that's unethical and immoral.  Thus, what matters most to me is not about protecting people, but about empowering them. Making sure that they can understand what's going on and make informed decisions.

danah