[iDC] Why Parents Help Children Violate Facebook's 13+ Rule

Mark Andrejevic markbandrejevic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 03:24:06 UTC 2011

John's post raises some core questions for discussions about the brave new
world of ubiquitous commercial monitoring.

To answer the question of the potential harms of tracking and target
marketing to kids -- and others (setting aside questions about potential
"abuse" or data breaches and focusing on the use proper, as it were), would
mean considering the impact of marketing, commercialization, and
advertising more generally on children (and society) as well as the ways in
which these shape the content to which they are exposed and their access to
information (if, as Mark Zuckerberg thinks, his social algorithms will
eventually take primacy in organizing our information worlds for us, what
does it mean that these are developed in accordance with commercial
imperatives? What kind of information will be prioritized and made
available via the "social graph" if this is clearly governed by and
subordinate to commercial imperatives? How might a Facebook social graph
differ from one that was not crafted according to commercial imperatives?
These are the same questions we once asked about how commercial imperatives
structures the news and information made available via commercial media
outlets. It surely retains its relevance and urgency in the online context,
yet we don't seem to ask it as much).

In other words, it's not a new question -- if we are concerned about the
impact of commodification and hyper-commercialization in offline realms,
the recent developments in the online world would likely exacerbate those
concerns. Even if we weren't we might start to get concerned about new
marketing strategies and techniques.

What is striking to me is the way in which the online world tends to get a
free pass. If someone were to build a "free" private for-profit school that
was funded by using students as guinea pigs for market research by spying
on them, experimenting on them, keeping data about everything they did, and
then using that to see how most effectively to influence their behavior and
shape their knowledge in accordance with commercial imperatives, the
creator of this school would likely be critiqued and the proposal roundly
rejected. We might engage in some serious questions about what we had, as a
society, become (or am I behind the times?). At the very least there would
be some significant level of public debate. But when important new forms of
sociality and self-expression online are funded this way, we
all-too-readily accept that this is the "only" way it can be done and go on
to ask, heck, what's so bad about marketing anyway: wouldn't we rather have
ads that are relevant to us than ones that are not?

John's post also highlights the problems with a privacy-based critique of
information collection. There are many pathologies associated with the
deployment of the notion of privacy, including the reinforcement of the
imagined primacy of the classical liberal subject that underwrites the
disturbing social pathologies of, say, the Tea Party with its antipathy to
notions of collective goods, shared social responsibility, legal
regulation, and so on. In more concrete terms, of course, a certain
interpretation of the sanctity of privacy underwrites Facebook's business
model, which is based not on "the end of privacy" but on the wholesale
enclosure and privatization of huge amounts of data. Even as we become more
visible to one another in some ways, what's going on "beneath" the platform
or "behind" the screen becomes increasingly opaque (if only because it's
getting more involved and sophisticated).

We don't have a clear idea of the experiments being conducted on us, the
range of data collected about us, or how this data is used because these
practices are not open and available to us. It would be interesting if
Facebook were as open as some Facebook users, posting an update whenever
they conducted a new experiment on us, and writing on our walls exactly
what data they had captured about us (including when and for how long we
looked at our walls). There is an asymmetry to the so called "end of
privacy": users are subjected to it, whereas those who control the
commercial platforms are exempted in significant ways. There are huge
emerging asymmetries in the terabyte world of "super crunching": those with
access to the databases and the tools for managing them can use data in
quite different ways than those without access. Data has different
significance and affordances for them. Moreover, the data itself is
collected in asymmetric ways. Imagine an application that monitored what
Facebook does with our information as closely as Facebook monitored its
users (not that that would redress the asymmetry entirely -- I think more
is at stake).

It's probably more helpful to approach these issues through the lenses of
power, accountability, democracy and social justice than through the lens
of "privacy" concerns. When people express their concerns about privacy
(even as their behavior seems to belie their words), it may well be that
they are attempting to get at some of these broader concerns but don't have
enough a well enough established public vocabulary to get at them.

It's worth understanding that target marketing in the world of the
expanding database is not simply about collaborative filtering (showing us
things that other people who like the things we like also like) or linking
ads to past preferences. The folks engaged in cutting edge forms of
data-mining and targeted advertising are interested in how  knowledge about
everything from our moods to our particular anxieties to our DNA can
provide leverage over us in ways that we are not aware of (the fear is that
if we know what's going on, the strategies might become less effective).
They are also interested not simply in tracking but in creating variations
in the conditions within which we are tracked in order to conduct ongoing
controlled experiments. If that sounds paranoid, just read the marketing
literature on this -- it's creepy in a fascinating futuristic kind off way.
I don't know if these techniques will actually work, but it's worth
understanding that we are incorporating the assumption that they will into
emerging economic models for supporting our communicative and informational
infrastructure. I'm not trying to over-dramatize the issue - but I think
it's worth anticipating the direction in which the industry seems to be
headed.