[iDC] Mobility Shifts: Introduction - Patrick Lichty

Lichty, Patrick plichty at colum.edu
Fri Sep 2 02:08:59 UTC 2011

Hello, My name is Patrick lichty, and I'm a contributor to the Learning Through Digital Media: Experiments in Technology and Pedagogy anthology with my chapter, "Would You Like to Teach My Avatar? Learning in Second Life".  I have been involved in some form of 3D Animation and Virtual Reality since 1996, animated for The Yes Men, and currently oversee I AM Columbia Island in Second Life, where my performance art group Second Front was born.  Even though I am not presenting, I hope to attend and be able to converse with many of you on the role that virtual environments, Augmented Reality, and other extensions of "reality" will have upon the learning environment.

Bio:
Patrick Lichty is a technologically-based conceptual artist, writer, independent curator, animator for the activist group, The Yes Men, and Executive Editor of Intelligent Agent Magazine. He began showing technological media art in 1989, and deals with works and writing that explore the social relations between us and media. Venues in which Lichty has been involved with solo and collaborative works include the Whitney & Turin Biennials, Maribor Triennial, Performa Performance Biennial, Ars Electronica, and the International Symposium on the Electronic Arts (ISEA). He also works extensively with virtual worlds, including Second Life, and his work, both solo and with his performance art group, Second Front, has been featured in Flash Art, Eikon Milan, and ArtNews. He is also an Assistant Professor of Interactive Arts & Media at Columbia College Chicago

Patrick Lichty
Asst. Professor
Dept of Interactive Arts & Media
Columbia College Chicago
916/1000 S. Wabash Ave #104
Chicago, IL USA
"Sometimes you do things not for the logic of them, but only for the fact that it is the right thing to do, and that is all."