[iDC] Defending UC

Losh, Elizabeth elosh at mail.ucsd.edu
Fri Sep 23 17:51:46 UTC 2011

Hi Brian,

Of course, Henry Jenkins and I will be talking about the tensions between participatory culture and public education in our conversation at Mobility Shifts, but I don't think it is quite fair to characterize the whole UC system as "corrupt."

I run the Culture, Art, and Technology program at Sixth College in UC San Diego and also supervise our upper-division experiential learning courses with our Practicum Director, so I suppose I am one of those frequently demonized UC "administrators."  Because I have an interdisciplinary faculty appointment, I am also able to teach courses in three departments (Communication, Literature, and Visual Arts).

In Sixth college we have a lot of first-generation college students and a lot of students who come in as transfer students from the community college system, so I am on the front lines of where tuition hikes and service cutbacks fall.   This poses a lot of challenges, because we also have a very ambitious curriculum devoted to what we call "utopian pedagogy" that covers everything from art-making to social action to computer programming.  You can look at the Sixth College Academic Plan for more information.

I have to say that one of the advantages of this particular large public institution is its relative transparency.  Certainly it is not perfect.  But we are public servants, and if you want to know how much I earn or how much any members of my team earn, you can look it up online.  That's not true of a lot of other educational institutions or philanthropic organizations or learning groups.  We take accountability very seriously, and we share information about spending very openly with the public, because we need their help.

I know that isn't always apparent when listening to UC President Mark Yudof speak (or mispeak), but it isn't fair to paint such a large and diverse population of educators devoted to complex collaborators with a lot of stakeholders with such a broad brush.  What about Sixth College faculty members creating courses with our community partners so students can think about urban communities as sites of knowledge making?  We don't have budget to pay them to do this with course releases, but they do it anyway.  Are they corrupt?

You cite Bob Samuels as a good source of information about the UC system, and I have to disagree.    I've known Bob for over a decade, and I think he's a Class A hypocrite when it comes to the question of remaking the university.  For example, he was a very vocal opponent of a project that we launched when I was back at UC Irvine that was designed to encourage more online collaboration and pedagogical sharing among people teaching gen ed courses.  He actually defended individual ownership of "intellectual property" at those meetings.

I work for the public and have absolutely no feeling of proprietary interest in further monetizing my own pedagogical work, and I put everything that I can online in the spirit of sharing.  If someone wants to take my slides and podcasts, which are all online, and copy my entire freshman core course on Media Seductions at http://losh.ucsd.edu/courses/CAT1.html, I would take it as the highest form of flattery.  There are a lot of other UC faculty, particularly those in Sixth College, who feel the same way.

Liz

Elizabeth Losh
Director of Academic Programs, Sixth College
Culture, Art, and Technology Program
249 Pepper Canyon Hall
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive