[iDC] Defending UC

Brian Holmes bhcontinentaldrift at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 05:40:19 UTC 2011

Hello Elizabeth -

Thanks for answering. It's vital for people who don't know each other to
exchange, to debate, also to disagree. It's a chance for everyone (me
too) to ask themselves, what do I really think? What do I know? Where do
I stand?

My claim is that UC is systemically corrupt. I would not say it if it
were just my personal opinion. I know that in its naked generality this
is a very cruel thing to say, and I'm aware that most of the people who
compose the UC system are not on the take and do not want it to operate
that way. The unfortunate thing is that in American society generally,
mere good will and due procedure is out of date. It has been superceded
by a malignant tumor. That's the case at UC. That's the essence of total
corruption.

Once we had a public system. I know: I'm a middle-class Californian, it
produced me. I was born in '59, so the generation just before me was the
one to understand that the welfare state was first of all a warfare
state. Huge efforts were made to reverse that situation, giving rise to
ideals that you and I undoubtedly share. However, because I am not
employed, because I have no stake, because I am simply lucid, I have to
say what I see. Those ideals have failed. It's time to start again.

Your program is undoubtedly a good one. The university would be a worse
without it, I can well imagine and I am glad for your efforts as I am
sure many students are. Thanks also for putting the free stuff online!
It's a great thing to do. However, crazy as it may sound, I have to ask
you for one more effort. Yeah, I know it does sound like a bit much. I
have to ask you to denounce the place you work in.

The social movement of 2009-2010 revealed that the always compromised
notion of a "public university" has become a fiction. According to its
own statistics and its own unfulfilled "yield program" (that's what they
call it) UCSD is a racist university. Moreover it "educates" its
students by producing intellectual property for sponsoring corporations
and weapons for the imperial state. And it hikes the tuition so that
undergrads can pay for all that. So much is apparent from a simple visit
and a lot of collective research. Here are some notes I took on my last
trip to California:

http://brianholmes.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/uc-system-the-business
http://brianholmes.wordpress.com/2010/02/27/ucsd-racist-incidents-again
http://brianholmes.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/doctrine-–-debate-–-defense-–-invention

UCSD's confirmed inability to serve the underprivileged minorities of
California is exacerbated by continuing tuition hikes that have the
effect of raising a class barrier around the access to higher education
across the entire system.  I well understand that this is not your
doing. I gather from what you say that your work is oriented toward a
quite different university. You are exactly the kind of person who would
work with a wingnut precarious cultural critic like myself. But here is
what I have to say to you from the specific perspective of my position:
the only way to defend the ideal university is to critique the real one.
Otherwise, the continuous decay of the ideal standards will go on
unimpeded, as it has for at least the last twenty years. Neither the
good intentions, nor even less the "excellence" of any single program
can change that.

How does the university become totally corrupt? When, in the name of
amelioration, all of those hoping to reform it hold their tongues and
continue to work within the shrinking space of an idealism that serves
to camouflage what really exists. That's massively the case among UC
professors and American intellectuals generally. After a period of
openly fascist government we now have the biggest economic crisis since
the great depression, we see the corporate elites using it to
restructure the institutions to their advantage, and we get radio
silence from the people with jobs in the public sector. Idealism or not,
it is singularly unimpressive.

So please, quit defending UC. Defend that which, in your own efforts,
bucks the trend toward a return of the feudal system. And critique the
rest! Act against it! Yudoff does not misspeak. He speaks the voice of
those whom your silence makes into our masters.

respectfully, Brian