[iDC] Digital Labor introduction: Thomas Lodato

Thomas James Lodato thomas.lodato at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 18:49:38 UTC 2014

Hi everyone-

I am Thomas Lodato from Georgia Institute of Technology. I super excited to
be part of a panel for Digital Labor.

Here a very brief intro: I am PhD candidate at Georgia Tech and a member of
the Intel Science and Technology Center for Social Computing. The bulk of
my work focuses on civic and participatory design which I explore both
through design research as part of the Public Design Workshop (led by Carl
DiSalvo) and through ethnographic case study methods.

The last few years I have been following what we call issue-oriented
hackathons. If you are unfamiliar with these events, they are intensive 1
to 3 day events where groups form to develop (largely software) prototypes
related to contemporary matters-of-concern, such as agriculture, ecological
issues, and so on. The events often take a civic slant, such as the
National Day of Civic Hacking, which construct technology hobbyists and
professionals into a form of volunteer civic labor (though more imagined
than realized even at events where work is being done). Needless to say,
you'll be hearing more about this in November.

In recent months I have been studying multi-disciplinary teams and their
collaboration on technology projects cast under the regime of user
experience.

I look forward to seeing everyone at Digital Labor.

-Thomas