[iDC] introduction

Greig dePeuter gdepeuter at wlu.ca
Tue Jun 10 20:16:21 UTC 2014

Hello,
This is a co-introduction for Nicole Cohen and myself, Greig de Peuter. We will be presenting together at the conference.
Nicole Cohen is an assistant professor at the University of Toronto (Institute of Communication, Culture, Information and Technology/Faculty of Information). She is currently researching freelance journalists and labour organizing in Canada.
Greig de Peuter is an assistant professor at Wilfrid Laurier University (Department of Communication Studies). He is the co-author, with Nick Dyer-Witheford, of Games of Empire: Global Capitalism and Video Games.
Along with Enda Brophy, we are collaborating on a research project, which we will be discussing at the Digital Labor conference, called Cultural Workers Organize. We are exploring how contract workers, the self-employed, part-timers, interns and other flexworkers are responding to precarity in the vaunted creative industries. Over the past few years, we've been carrying out interviews with people involved in rank-and-file labour activism, trade unions, professional associations, policy development, and coworking spaces, mainly in London, Milan, New York City, and Toronto. We're looking at what so-called non-standard workers and their allies are doing to call attention to, challenge, and mitigate precarity in the arts, media, and cultural sectors. Drawing from this ongoing research, our contribution to the conference will explore prospects for collective organizing in a digital labour economy.

You can learn more about our project at culturalworkersorganize.org<http://culturalworkersorganize.org/>.
We're looking forward to the conversation in November.