[iDC] Introduction

Michael Grabell Michael.Grabell at propublica.org
Fri Jun 27 21:06:16 UTC 2014

Apologies for the late introduction. I've been humbled by your bios and am looking forward to learning more at the conference.

I'm a reporter for ProPublica, a nonprofit investigative journalism organization based in New York. ProPublica<http://www.propublica.org/> was started six years ago by former editors from the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times to help fill the gap in investigative reporting as major newspapers and broadcast networks cut back on such resources. Our mission is to produce stories with "moral force" that "shine a light on exploitation of the weak by the strong and on the failures of those with power to vindicate the trust placed in them."

As both a nonprofit and an online news outlet, we're kind of new model in journalism. Typically, we'll work on a project for 6 months to a year and then publish with a partner such as NPR, PBS Frontline, the Washington Post, or the Atlantic. In 2010, we were the first online news organization to win a Pulitzer Prize.

I was asked to speak because of a series I did on the growth of temp work in the United States, spotlighting abuses in terms of safety and wages. While most of my work focused on manual labor rather than digital labor, some of the employment models will seem familiar to you.

The whole series can be found here: http://www.propublica.org/series/temp-land

A good summary is here: http://www.propublica.org/article/a-modern-day-harvest-of-shame

Major stories below:

Temp worker injuries
http://www.propublica.org/article/temporary-work-lasting-harm

Temp Towns
http://www.propublica.org/article/the-expendables-how-the-temps-who-power-corporate-giants-are-getting-crushe

Immigrant Labor Brokers
http://www.propublica.org/article/taken-for-a-ride-temp-agencies-and-raiteros-in-immigrant-chicago

Extreme Permatemps and Temp Regulations Around the World
http://www.propublica.org/article/us-lags-behind-world-in-temp-worker-protections

I welcome all tips and story ideas at michael.grabell at propublica.org<mailto:michael.grabell at propublica.org>

Looking forward to meeting everyone,

Michael Grabell
Staff Writer
ProPublica
917-512-0217
michael.grabell at propublica.org<mailto:michael.grabell at propublica.org>
Follow me on Twitter @MichaelGrabell

ProPublica is a non-profit journalism organization dedicated to in-depth reporting in the public interest. Run by the former managing editor of The Wall Street Journal and the former investigations editor of The New York Times, our work has appeared on 60 Minutes, 20/20, CNN and NPR and in The New York Times, USA Today, The Washington Post and The Los Angeles Times. Since 2010, we have won two Pulitzer Prizes for investigative reporting and national reporting and have been finalists for public service. Visit us at www.propublica.org<http://www.propublica.org/>