[iDC] Introduction

Frank Pasquale frank.pasquale at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 02:19:30 UTC 2014

This will be my second digital labor conference. I'm happy to see how much
the concept has developed over the past five years.

I am presently completing an essay on automation
<http://balkin.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-more-nuanced-view-of-legal-automation.html>,
<http://canopycanopycanopy.com/contents/2014_commission_recipients> from
Triple Canopy. I edited and wrote for a New Museum-sponsored project on "The
Last Newspaper <http://newcityreader.net/issue08.html>." My book, The Black
Box Society <http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674368279>,
will be published this fall.

My presentation at the conference will explore proposals to "automate the
automators"--i.e., how to computerize (and thus render redundant) the
managers and investors who claim automation should render most workers
redundant.

--Frank

Frank Pasquale
Professor of Law
University of Maryland Carey School of Law
500 W. Baltimore St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
(410)-706-4820