[iDC] Even more introductions...

Gregg, Melissa melissa.gregg at intel.com
Mon Sep 15 19:18:09 UTC 2014

Comrades!

I work at Intel Corporation and am currently writing a history of management theory and productivity technologies in the workplace. I wrote about this here<https://mailman.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2014-March/004935.html> earlier.
My previous book Work's Intimacy<http://www.polity.co.uk/book.asp?ref=9780745650289> (Polity, 2011) is a 3 year study of white collar workers dealing with 'presence bleed' in information jobs mediated by always-on devices.
I have a background in affect theory as the co-editor of The Affect Theory Reader<https://www.dukeupress.edu/The-Affect-Theory-Reader/> (with Greg Seigworth, Duke 2010). My essay in that collection, 'On Friday Night Drinks: Workplace Affect in the Age of the Cubicle' remains true to my life, perhaps now more than ever :)
I also write about the labor of data<http://tvn.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/08/31/1527476414547774.abstract?rss=1> and of care<http://library.queensu.ca/ojs/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/spousebusting> in various ways. A recent piece with Jack Qiu and Kate Crawford is 'Circuits of Labor: A Labor Theory of the iPhone Era'<http://www.triple-c.at/index.php/tripleC/article/view/540>. See here for copies of things: https://intel.academia.edu/MelissaGregg
I am one of the organizers of the Civic Hacking panel  at the upcoming conference, and just finished a draft paper arising out of shared research with other panelists/collaborators in the Intel Science and Technology Center for Social Computing. 'Hack for Good: Speculative labor, app development and the burden of austerity' is something I will address in November and I am happy to share this with anyone who has an interest in the topic.
The work of so many people on this list has been hugely inspiring for me over the years and I look forward to meeting again in November.
Melissa