[iDC] Introduction

Josh Scannell joshua.scannell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 12:05:54 UTC 2014

Hi all,
More apologies for sending an introduction so late. My name is Josh
Scannell. I'm a PhD student in sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center, as
well as an adjunct in both Sociology and Women and Gender Studies at Hunter
College.

My current research is on the shifting impacts of data driven, algorithmic
governance on the production and modulation of populations, bodies and
political economies in the context of the carceral state. This work has
increasingly turned to questions of necropolitics and big data. I have been
particularly interested in the NYPD's Domain Awareness System as an example
of more general shifts in these relationships. I'm also deeply interested
in the relationship between mysticism and digital ecologies, and have been
thinking this strange encounter through a consideration of what I've not so
creatively been calling "digital mysticism." I spend a totally unreasonable
amount of time contemplating a hard take off while watching Shingy talks.
As in, maybe Skynet should just do us in already.

I am the author of *Cities: Unauthorized Resistance and Uncertain
Sovereignty in the Urban World*, and was a co-author with Patricia Clough,
Karen Gregory and Benjamin Haber of "The Datalogical Turn," forthcoming, as
Karen mentioned, in a collection from Routledge.

I'm very excited about the conference and very excited to meet everyone!

Best
-Josh

--
R. Joshua Scannell / Ph.D. Candidate, CUNY Graduate Center / Adjunct
Lecturer, Hunter College / Email: Joshua.Scannell at gmail.com / Cell: (860)