[iDC] Introduction--Kara Van Cleaf

Kara Mary karamary at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 13:58:25 UTC 2014

Hello,
My name is Kara Van Cleaf. I am a sociologist and recently defended my
dissertation at the Grad Center, CUNY. I work as an Instructional
Technologist at Macaulay Honors College, CUNY and teach sociology courses
at The Fashion Institute of Technology.

My research focuses on blogs written by mothers, aka "mommy blogs," and the
doubling up of free/affective/unpaid/care labor on which both blogging and
mothering run. Part of my work situates the fantasies conveyed on these
blogs within neoliberal economies that privilege certain narratives of
motherhood over others. Currently, I'm working on a paper that compares
feminists consciousness-raising writings from the 1970s to the blogged
versions of today.

Looking forward to this exciting conference.

Kara Van Cleaf