[iDC] Introduction

Stephen Downes stephen at downes.ca
Sat Sep 27 14:03:20 UTC 2014

As I posted on Ello,

So accepting VC money needs it needs a revenue stream. That was probably
going to happen with or without VC funding.

The usual (read: evil) ways of funding service like this are (a)
advertising, and (b) selling user data (the two are, of course, linked).

So - what are alternative non-evil ways of raising revenies? The obvious one
seems to me to change user fees. But to successfully charge user fees, you
need to build a subscriber base and value-add. Hence the free access.

It's not the sort of thing they can say up front - who would sign up if they
knew they would be dinged? But it is, ultimately, a model that works for
many services.

-- Stephen

p.s. Ted Byfield, do you have a blog or just a Twitter feed?